Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

IT services for students

IT Services for students at the dept. of Geology

As student you have access both to the university wide systems available for all students and to systems specific for Dept. of Geology. The department specific services are mainly filesharing and backup.

On the Student portal you will find more information about the university wide services. Below is what is specific for dept. of Geology.

Computer accounts

To be able to login to the computers at the department you need both an ”OES” (Open Enterprise Server)-account and a ”Student”-account. The OES account give you access to personal and shared folders on the file servers. The Student account give you access to printers, wifi, programs, email etc.

Contact Gert Pettersson (room 235, tel +4646-2228693) to get an OES account.

Learn more about your Student account and how to activate it:

Computer lab

To log in to the lab computers you start with the OES account. If you get another login window for “This computer” you should enter your Student-account. Enter the username like this: uw\<Student-account>

i.e. uw\ab1234cd-s

Don’t save anything on the computers C:-drive or desktop! If something happens with the computer, it will be wiped and reinstalled. Then everything located at C: or the desktop will be erased. Save your files on G: or M: (see below) instead.

Also be cautious with USB-drives. Only use them to copy files and make sure your files are stored in other places (like G: or your private computer) too. USB-drives are forgotten, lost and broken quite often!

Log out of the computer when you are ready. You are responsible for what’s done with the computer as long as you are logged in.

Server folders

When you have logged in to a computer in the computer lab or through one of the web pages: 
you will have access to the folders on the department servers. The volumes that are relevant to you are:

  • G: (Home) - which is your home volume. Only you have access to this volume and you will reach it from all department computers you log in to. You should save your personal files here to have them easily available.
  • M: (Students) - is the students common volume. It should be used for common projects and tasks.

 Both G: and M: are backed up every night.


The University-wide print system is called "Papercut". Print to the printer "Papercut" and the job will be placed in a common queue. You may then go to any Papercut-connected printer and log in to the printer to print your job. It does not cost anything until it’s printed.

The cost is:

  • B/w A4 – 50 öre
  • B/w A3 – 1 kr
  • Color A4 – 1 kr
  • Color A3 – 2 kr

When using duplex printing there is a 10% discount.

In and outside the computer lab are two Papercut printers: Trilobit 1 and 2. In the Geolibrary there is another Papercut printer.

More information on Papercut and how to get started is found here:


If you run into problems or have questions or opinions please contact

Gert Pettersson (Room 235, behind Pangea, gert [dot] pettersson [at] geol [dot] lu [dot] se, +46462228693)

Page Manager: