12th International Eclogite Conference
12th International Eclogite Conference in Åre, Sweden, August 20-29, 2017
Theme: High-and ultrahigh-pressure rocks –
keys to lithosphere dynamics through geologic time
Dear Colleagues and Friends of eclogites, other HP- and UHP-metamorphic rocks, and mountain-building processes,
We are pleased to inform you that online registration has opened for the 12th International Eclogite Conference in Åre, Sweden, August 20-29, 2017.
The conference format is three days + a mid-conference field excursion for all participants. The mid-conference excursion will go to the newly discovered microdiamond localities near Åre. The conference will cover a range of disciplines, including metamorphic petrology, mineralogy, geochronology, and structural geology and tectonics, with invited keynote speakers in different disciplines.
Pre- and post-conference scientific field excursions are offered to the high- and ultrahigh-pressure metamorphic terranes in northern Jämtland, Sweden, and the Western Gneiss Region (Nordøyane UHP domain), Norway, respectively. These excursions offer possibilities to learn, discuss science, and interact with a broad range of international experts in the field.
The venue of the conference will be the Hotel Copperhill Mountain Lodge, which is located in Åre. The closest airports are Östersund and Trondheim. There is a train station in Åre (direct connections to Stockholm).
In keeping with past IECs, we plan to organize publication of two special volumes of papers in appropriate peer reviewed periodicals.
Itinerary August 20-29 2017
- 18/8 End of Goldschmidt Conference in Paris
- 19/8 Arrival of first participants to Trondheim and Östersund, and transfers to Åre. Night in Åre-Duved.
- 20/8 At 08.30: Departure of pre-conference excursion from Åre to the Seve Nappe Complex in northern Jämtland. Sipmikk and Ruotats localities. Night in Gäddede.
- 21/8 Tjeliken and Friningen localities. Night in Gäddede.
- 22/8 Arrival at Åre around noon. Registration desk opens during afternoon. Evening: ice-breaker.
- 23/8 Conference Day 1. Evening: Business meetings.
- 24/8 Mid-conference (Day 2) scientific excursion to microdiamond localities near Åre.
- 25/8 Conference Day 3. Evening: Conference dinner. Student oral presentation and poster awards.
- 26/8 Conference Day 4. At 14.00: Departure of post-conference excursion to the Western Gneiss Region, Molde area. Night in Molde.
- 27/8 Svartberget and Otrøy localities. Night in Molde.
- 28/8 Fjortøft localities. Night in Molde.
- 29/8 End of post-conference excursion. Transfer of participants to airports (Molde and Trondheim); travel time Molde -Trondheim airport: 4 hrs.
Registration: February 17th – March 31st (early); April 1st – April 20th (late). https://www.lyyti.in/IEC12
Abstract submission: April 1st- April 30th, to be sent to 12eclogite [at] gmail.com
Registration fee, including accommodation, meals, and mid-conference excursion to micro-diamond localities (approximate exchange rates: 1000 SEK =105 euro or 110 US$)
Student: early registration 9000 SEK; late 9500 SEK
Regular: early registration 10000 SEK; late 11000 SEK
Accompanying person; early registration 8200 SEK; late 8700 SEK
Field trip fees
Pre-conference field excursion to the Seve Nappe Complex: 3200 SEK
Post-conference field excursion to the Western Gneiss Region: 5500 SEK
Planned conference sessions
- The Scandinavian Caledonides and the importance of eclogites
- Garnet peridotites –messengers from the mantle
- Petrochronology: dating of metamorphic processes
- From cold to hot collision - subduction and continental underthrusting
- Fluid dynamics: the significance of fluids and melts
- Geochemical dynamics in subduction zones
- Reaching the nano-scale: microstructures and microchemistry of HP-UHP minerals
- Håkon Austrheim (Oslo University, Norway)
- Suzanne Baldwin (Syracuse University, NY, USA)
- Hannes Brueckner (CUNY, NY, USA)
- David Gee (Uppsala University, Sweden)
- William Griffin (Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia)
- Patrick O’Brien (University Potsdam, Germany)
- Gisella Rebay (University of Pavia, Italy)
- Daniela Rubatto (University of Bern, Switzerland)
- Jingsui Yang (Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing, China)
- Yong-Fei Zheng (University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China)
Abstract submission: April 1st- April 30th
Abstracts may be submitted for either poster or oral presentation. On the basis of the time schedule available, oral presentations may have to be switched to posters or vice versa; the decision will be made by the scientific committee and communicated in time. Please specify the preferred type of presentation (oral or poster), the preferred session, and an alternative session. Abstracts must follow the template provided here and be submitted by email to 12eclogite [at] gmail.com. Abstract limit is 1 page (2 pages for keynotes). Please note the topic ABSTRACT in the heading of the email.
The scientific committee has reviewed each one of the abstracts and in some made minor linguistic changes or eliminated errors; where any substantial change has been necessary that has been made in agreement with the author.
*New* - List of contributions
Downloadable here. Please note that the list is preliminary and the order of oral contributions, and the order of sessions, are not finally set.
Orals - keynotes
Keynote speakers are scheduled for 30 minutes (25 minutes + 5 minutes discussion).
Orals - ordinary
Ordinary talks are scheduled for 15 minutes (12 minutes + 3 minutes discussion).
Format is A0 vertical (width:max 841mm, heigth:1189mm), and layout free. Posters will be grouped after session, within each group ordered alphabetically according to the surname of the first author.
is made via email to 12eclogite [at] gmail.com . Please note in the heading of your email the topic of communication, e.g., ABSTRACT, PRE-CONFERENCE EXCURSION, REGISTRATION, POST-CONFERENCE EXCURSION, etc.
Travel to Sweden and Norway
Each attendee is responsible for making his/her travel arrangements to and from IEC12.
The venue of the conference is Hotel Copperhill Mountain Lodge about 4 km SW of Åre http://copperhill.se/en/ . Åre is the starting point for all participants, both those who attend the conference only and those who participate in the pre-conference excursion. Nearest airports are Åre-Östersund in Sweden, 80 km east of Åre (1-1.5 hours by bus or train) and Trondheim/Værnes in Norway, 160 km west of Åre (2-2.5 hours by bus or train). From the train station in central Åre it takes about 10 minutes with taxi to the Copperhill Mountain Lodge. http://copperhill.se/en/about-us/getting-here/
On the 19th, 22nd and 26th August we organize minibuses between Åre-Östersund/Trondheim airports/Åre train station and Copperhill Mountain Lodge (booked by each participant in the registration form, optional, additional fee).
The final destination of the post-conference field trip is Molde in Norway, where a small airport is located https://avinor.no/en/airport/molde-airport/ (the distance from Molde to Trondheim/Vaernes airport is 220 km, 3.5 hrs by car).
Visa to Sweden and Norway
Most attendees should be able to enter Sweden and Norway with only a passport, but others, e.g. from China, need a VISA. Colleagues who are planning to attend IEC-2017 and are in need of an invitation letter in order to obtain VISA should register as soon as possible and tick the box “Request of an invitation letter”; the letter of invitation will provided after payment of the registration fee. Please note that each attendee is responsible for making his/her requirements for THEIR country well in time.
Field excursion information
Details will be posted on this website. The conference excursions involve hiking in a mountainous landscape of bedrock hills and boggy wetland. Weather conditions can change rapidly from calm and sunny to rainy and windy. Therefore wind- and water-proof clothing and robust, sturdy, and water-proof footwear are necessary. Note that the organizers and the field-trip leaders cannot be held responsible for illness or injury during participation; please make sure that you have made your own insurance arrangements.
Hans-Peter Schertl (Chair; Germany), Jenny Andersson (Sweden), Daniele Castelli (Italy), Shah Wali Faryad (Czech Republic), David Gee (Sweden), Gaston Godard (France), Bradley Hacker (USA), Takao Hirajima (Japan), Jana Kotkova (Czech Republic), Helen Lang (USA), Gisella Rebay (Italy), Jingsui Yang (China).
Charlotte ”Lotta” Möller (Lund University, Sweden), Jaroslaw ”Jarek” Majka and Iwona Klonowska (Uppsala University, Sweden), Herman van Roermund (University Utrecht, The Netherlands), Marian Janák (Slovak Academy of Sciences, Slovak Republic), Dirk Spengler (Technical University Berlin, Germany), and Hans Vrijmoed (Free University Berlin, Germany).
We are looking very much forward to meeting you in the Scandinavian Caledonides!
Web Page: http://www.geology.lu.se/IEC12
Permanent IEC-website: http://www.rub.de/eclogite/